Class Council Dinner with Dean Finn

One of the best things about this school is how much the faculty members care about their students. I always used to hear things like, "Oh, in college you're just a number. Professors won't know your name usually." It made the whole thing seem scary. However, I've found that here at Saint A's its the opposite.

In every class so far, my professors have addressed me by name and it is a really great feeling, especially when you are away from home for the first time. Your advisors and professors are also a great resource for help with assignments or guidance about majors/career planning, and all of them have specific office hours where you can go to meet if you need to. My chemistry professor and work study advisor Dr. Eyet always has a big bowl of candy in her office too, which is also a definite plus. Overall, getting to know your professors while at SAC is a great advantage of a smaller sized college and is something that I think everyone should do.

Now, back to the title after that long (but important) tangent. I mentioned a while back that I am a part of the Student Government and that each class has their own council made up of a President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer, etc. We have meetings once to twice a week and work on different projects that range from community service to class unity. The advisor of SGA is the dean of students, Dean Alicia Finn. Because she truly wants to know everyone in the Student Government, she took our freshman class council out for dinner so that we could talk about some of our plans for the rest of the year. She also wanted to know about our majors, extracurricular activities, and how our first year on the hilltop was going so far. I even found out that she was born in Brooklyn (about five minutes from my house) and went to a high school affiliated with mine which was really awesome (The connections that you make at this place are awesome!). Our trip to the Ninety-Nine (for all of the non- New Englanders out there like me, it's similar to an Applebee's.) was a blast and I'm so thankful that Dean Finn took the the time out of her schedule to meet with us.

(Unfortunately, Dean Finn is blocked a little bit in our picture from dinner. But in the bottom half I included another SAC picture and she is the woman to the far right.)

About Catherine Muldoon '17

Catherine Muldoon ’17 is a Chemistry major from Rockaway Park, New York. Catherine is eager to begin her Saint Anselm College career and hopes to become actively involved with the Meelia Center for Community Engagement and the Abbey Players, among many other campus organizations.