Packing Up

It is time to go home! All the kittens are finishing exams and packing cars and cleaning rooms and running for the hills! And the RAs are checking rooms and shutting down buildings and off to their homes too! Finals are crazy but that's no reason to not be prepared for the holidays. Make a list of things you need even before finals start so you can slowly pack and prep, trust me the list will get longer. Remember to clean the room, coming back to a forgotten piece of food or a dead plant… NOT fun.

One of the craziest adjustments in college is going home. After being in college you start to notice little differences in your home, in your own life. So remember that things change over the semester. Your parents may not be used to you all grown up and independent. Be patient with them and ask them to be patient with you. That is always one of my biggest anxiety causers when I go home. But it's good for you, and it is SO NICE to be home. The fireplace, the food, the bed, OMG, my bed! Yay!

Breaking up finals with a Christmas party with friends is good too. My friends and I exchanged gifts and look at the elephant chalk board I got! His name is Bruce and he is awesome.

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! A Wonderful New Year to you and yours! See you in 2014. :)

About Karina deBrum '15

Karina deBrum ’15 is a Sociology major (with a Fine Arts minor) from Lana’i City, Hawaii. Karina is president of the Multicultural Student Coalition, the vice president of Quatrain, a member of Lubrications, and a Resident Advisor in Joan of Arc Hall.

• Giselle Martes

My least favorite part of my travels, Dan, was in Africa. It is a different world then. White (young, female) slave trade was at a boom and we were followed and "bothered" when there. It really wasn't safe for me or the girls I had with me. I was a bit older than you but not much. Now I think I'd appreciate it more, as you do. You may notice in Spain that they keep out the meat, the milk, the cream, etc.; items that we would refrigerate. Their systems are used to it. A couple of my students and I got sick due to that lack of refrigeration. I become a vegetarian in countries that do that now. I actually ended up with salmonella twice and hospitalized for two days one of those times-let's say I'm not a fast learner. My system just didn't know what was going on! And others ate all the food and had no problems. You will see that they do have refrigerators and freezers of course but some of the places you will visit won't. Glad to see you are having fun. I am also proud that you are representing your country well. So many people don't embrace other cultures and come across as arrogant, ignorant or rude and the "ugly American" stereotype crops up once again. We need good ambassadors right now in the world. !Sigue pasa'ndolo muy bien!