Christmas in the Halls

Joan of Arc hallway dressed for Christmas.

Hands down, the Christmas holiday season is my favorite time of year. But, with finals and stuff it can seem like the holidays are not here at all sometimes. My favorite thing to do is make decorations. It can be social, fun,and stress-relieving. This is the time of year, people start to reach breaking points and that's OK. But it's not fun. So I try to focus on the fun and the Christmas cheer. I made decorations for one of my boss's offices when I was working Sunday night. I put up a decoration in my friends' room too. I made snow flakes for the Multicultural Center. I helped residents decorate their doors. I insist on playing my Christmas music in the hall when I am in my room. I have a yummy smelling spray that I spritz the halls with.

With out family around, sometimes you can feel cheated on Christmas cheer. St. A's does it best to help with that, the Campus Activities Board always pulls out some winter magic on Reading Day (the day after classes end and exams start), the Gingerbread House Competition is always a BLAST. Most residence halls have decoration competitions….we have our ways. Taking a decoration from home, or putting lights in your room helps with the home sickness. Having a count down is fun too.

About Karina deBrum '15

Karina deBrum ’15 is a Sociology major (with a Fine Arts minor) from Lana’i City, Hawaii. Karina is president of the Multicultural Student Coalition, the vice president of Quatrain, a member of Lubrications, and a Resident Advisor in Joan of Arc Hall.