Getting Ready for the End of the Semester

Sunrise over Saint Anselm CollegeSeptember is always crazy, trying to find your rhythm.

October is always busy, juggling what you want to do with what you have to do.

November is always stressful, working big projects and preparing for finals.

December is always bittersweet, finals stink, but that means vacation is here.

But it's OK! Everyone is in the same boat, professors are understanding, and the snow is pretty. That may just be me, I love the snow, and there are people who are thrilled by the snow. There are also some who are scared, worried or tired of it. Whatever. The snow just makes your days a little more sparkly.

But work stinks. Papers, and projects, books to read, finals to prepare for. blah blah blah. You figure it out… or you don't and wind up having to write three papers in 12 hours. But that's only what happens when you refuse to acknowledge the work ahead of time. Sleep all weekend, eat nothing but apples and peanut butter, go to the movies, and watch hockey. I admit it, I did not plan well and I am paying the consequences. No, I will not pull an all-nighter. Yes, I will get the work done. No, I will not be happy about it, and no, this does not happen all the time.

An end of the semester tip? Breathe, stick to game plans (make game plans), and talk to someone about it. We are all in the same boat. It's ok to whine about it, but after the tears, build a bridge, get over it. Really, sometimes there is nothing left to do but drag your butt out of bed at 6:30 a.m. and look at the pretty sunrise. :)

About Karina deBrum '15

Karina deBrum ’15 is a Sociology major (with a Fine Arts minor) from Lana’i City, Hawaii. Karina is president of the Multicultural Student Coalition, the vice president of Quatrain, a member of Lubrications, and a Resident Advisor in Joan of Arc Hall.