Meeting with the President

Sometimes the best part of getting your butt kicked in school is the grades. You work up a sweat and lose sleep and miss out on hanging with friends and get all this work done. And it never seems to stop. And then the professor passes back papers or tests. And the groans ensue, but huzzah! What is this? You got a good grade? You got a great grade? YIPEE!!!

And I love baking, I love making food. I came from a household, from a culture where you always offer food. Where you were not hospitable or polite if you did not bring the guest or visitor in and feed them. So I invited President DiSalvo into Joan of Arc Hall to talk to residents. I made whoopie pies and sugar cookies, and I got help to make pumpkin cupcakes, there was apple cider too. There were 43 people to see El Presidente. 43! That is INSANE and it was fun, they had a blast, there was great conversation. So proud of myself.

So, for all the exhaustion and the pile of work that has to get done tomorrow, I feel accomplished. A good achievement or two really helps put all the pit falls into perspective. :)

About Karina deBrum '15

Karina deBrum ’15 is a Sociology major (with a Fine Arts minor) from Lana’i City, Hawaii. Karina is president of the Multicultural Student Coalition, the vice president of Quatrain, a member of Lubrications, and a Resident Advisor in Joan of Arc Hall.