Professors

Cookie Monster coloring book

This drawing of Cookie Monster was recently sent to me by a child that I babysat in Hawaii.

One of the best parts of a small liberal arts college is getting to know the professors. As an RA I was asked to hold a program or two that would bring professors into the residence halls. Last night one of my favorite professors, Professor Pilarski of the theology department agreed to bring in a Peruvian dinner for me and some of my residents. She is from Peru. It was wonderful. You forget sometimes how nice it is to have a home cooked meal. Not that Davison is bad. But sometimes having a family dinner with hot food cooked with love and people sitting around a table is really nice.

We ate and learned about Peruvian food. We talked and laughed about life. Her husband and son were there, too. I love being able to get know my professors. Experiences like the dinner last night will stay with me forever. My mother taught at my grade school when I was a child so I knew all the teachers outside of school. They would even come to my house for holidays and I would babysit their kids. Every weekend I would see them. So I know that teachers have lives outside of school. And people tend to understand that more in college. But sometimes you forget. So having dinner with a professor or even just a conversation with a professor outside of class can be a nice break.

My grandmother has met my first semester English professor. She has met him twice now at Family Weekend brunch with the president (we also met President DiSalvo this year and he is PRETTY COOL). That is fun. Walking by a professor's office and having him ask how your grandma is = true Anselmian spirit. Ah, the wonders of small school communities! So yeah, that's all I have to say. If you enjoy your professors, talk to them. Even if you don't enjoy their class you might enjoy them as a person. Having a professor you can be sassy with is fun. Knowing that your professor is as excited as you are for a course is fun. Don't be scared of professors. They are people too. Sometimes they are good cooks, and sometimes they will bring you food!

About Karina deBrum '15

Karina deBrum ’15 is a Sociology major (with a Fine Arts minor) from Lana’i City, Hawaii. Karina is president of the Multicultural Student Coalition, the vice president of Quatrain, a member of Lubrications, and a Resident Advisor in Joan of Arc Hall.