New Purchasing Process and Training

Last spring, the LEAN Pioneer team began training in quality improvement processes with the first process identified as purchasing procurement across the college. This team has been working diligently to create a process that will retain value but will reduce waste and inefficiency, thereby creating more capacity for the college.

We are now ready to roll out the new purchasing procurement process which will affect all departments across the campus. This training will occur in December with the new process being completely implemented by the start of second semester.

The following details the training dates, times, and expectations:

Training for department purchase originators will take place on the following dates/times in the Geisel Library classroom, 2nd floor:

• Wednesday, December 8, 2010: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Friday, December 10: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
  • Tuesday, December 14: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Thursday, December 16: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Attendance at a training session will be mandatory to use the CIS purchasing system; going forward in January, the new system will be required for making purchases. There will be limited flexibility in make-up training for those who are legitimately excused from attending training.

Department heads with budget approval authority will receive e-mail instructions on the steps required for approving a purchase order; the e-mail will also contain an attachment consisting of a “quick guide” on approval steps.

Purchase order originators will receive a follow-up communication from the co-chairs of the LEAN Pioneer Team, Bill Furlong and Jacques Plante, on how to sign-up for the training using an online registration form on the Intranet.

I would like to acknowledge the entire LEAN Pioneer team who have led this purchasing process improvement for the college. In addition to Bill Furlong and Jacques Plante, the team is comprised of: Kathy Beausoliel (Nursing), Bob Baron (Finance), Doris Dionne (Physical Plant), Tricia Halliday (Marketing and Enrollment Management), Elizabeth Holmes (Library), Deb MacDonald (Campus Mail Center), Kathleen Parnell (Human Resources), Margaret Pfalzgraf (Athletics), Carol Richards (IT), Margaret Roach (Biology), and Leila Wilder (College Advancement). They have been dedicated and vigilant in ensuring that the process we will be instituting is one that meets with the LEAN processes and fits with the college. I am grateful for their commitment to pioneering this process at the college.

In the future, there will be other processes that we will be looking at once the purchasing procurement process is finalized.  As always, I appreciate the entire college’s support and openness to this effort as we implement this first LEAN process.

• mgcronin

Farhia, I remember you, too! Congratulations on your marriage and motherhood, and on your success in your field. Good luck to you and your family.

• Meghan Briggs Lynch '02

Thanks for writing this post, Dr. Bouchard! I'll be back again soon for the Bard's birthday celebration. (In fact, I am putting it on my calendar right now so I don't forget when spring fever takes over.) I think about all of my professors from time to time, but it is the amazing English department who had the most impact on the student I was and the person I am. So I'm glad to know you might think of me as well! In fact, my brother just referenced his "Hopkins class" (meaning John Hopkins University), but I was immediately transported back to GMH. Like the ooze of oil
    Crushed.

• Eileen

I love the idea and the feeling that the porch light is always "on" for me at Bradley House. Although I spent more time across the road at the Hearth and Dart, I remember well your sage advice and wisdom when advising me on my senior thesis on The Great Gatsby. I look back and am so grateful for those days and years on the hilltop,, which indeed shaped me. My best to Donna; a lot of the old pub crew will be up next year for our 25th reunion. Hope to see you both then. -Eileen Mulkerin, '89

• Liz Freitag McGivern

This post made me teary. As a member of the Class of '93 and a proud Paris/New York alumni, you were one of the most influential people in my college career. It is because of you that I love Shakespeare as much as I do.

My 11-year old daughter and I went to see "Gnomeo and Juliet" a few years ago. At the end of the movie, she turned to me in disgust and said, "Mom, that's NOT how it was supposed to end. I don't think Billy would have liked it." (Of course, we refer to Shakespeare as Billy in my house).

I have taught high school English and now teach 8th grade Language Arts, but my love for Shakespeare and my passion for reading and writing was ignited in the classrooms at St. A's. I probably wasn't the best student that ever walked the halls, but I hope I am able to convey the same passion for literature that my professors modeled for me when I was there.

Thanks, Professor Bouchard. Your influence extends more than you can possibly know.

• Annette & Mike Bonomo

You walkers look mahvelous! Keep it up, you guys can do it. We will see you on Saturday.

• Janice zanella

Nicole zanella
    Hugs and prayers for you! I love you GAMMY