Why I Walk: Kayla Patten '17

When I walked Road For Hope for the first time, in 2014, one of the leaders shared an African Proverb with the group. It read, “if you want to walk fast, walk alone, if you want to walk far, walk together.” It wasn’t until all forty-four of us ran onto the front lawn of Saint Anselm, on day eight, that I truly understood what the quotation meant.

Kayla Patten '17Initially, I applied for Road For Hope on a whim, and it has been one of the best decisions I’ve made while attending Saint Anselm College. As an incoming sophomore, at the time, I didn’t know the majority of people walking and I certainly didn’t have a full understanding of what the journey is all about.

Completing 130 miles of “the road” is not an easy accomplishment and is more than simply putting one foot in front of the other; it means being a motivator for someone, having a conversation about God, making a new friend, changing your perspective, seeing beauty in all parts of nature (even on the hot and humid days), saying grace before meals, and finding a new, personal connection with the charities Road For Hope advocates for.

Road For Hope is a 130 mile journey that doesn’t end when on the eighth day when we arrive on campus, for me, it was only the beginning; the beginning of being a louder voice to speak up for those who cannot. I choose to commit to Road For Hope for those who need hope, strength, and fellowship the most. On Saturday, August 20, 2016, forty-five determined students will begin their journey from Lewiston, Maine back to Saint Anselm.

I am proud to be part of a group that not only raises awareness for the marginalized in Maine and New Hampshire, but also a group that motivates others to do their best and to hope in more. As this will be my third and final Road For Hope journey I cannot wait to walk far, by walking together, in order to make a difference.

• sharath s

good one to look Here