When Opportunity Knocks…

CNN's John King with Saint Anselm students

Submitted by Vallerie Stein '14, a Saint Anselm student and runner working for CNN. I cannot believe the opportunities that I have had in my first year at Saint Anselm. One year ago today, I graduated from High School, and today I am working with CNN!

On Thursday, I was part of the student group interviewed by Don Lemon. Today part of it aired on CNN. It was unbelievable that someone like me could be on TV. When the segment aired, many of us gathered around the television with looks of astonishment on our faces. It gives me the weirdest feeling to see our school on TV, but it also gives me so much pride in Saint Anselm. I am lucky to be here.

When I reported to the CNN office this morning, I was assigned to work with the people in charge of the audience. Although my career as a golf cart driver was over (my previous position included delivery and chauffeuring duties), I helped to organize the list of the Candidate's VIP guests, and learn about the role of the audience in a production.

The best part of my day was being able to have lunch with my boss. I had the opportunity to sit down with someone who had 41 years of experience with these sorts of events and working in broadcast journalism. Not only was her wisdom fascinating, but she had a sparkling personality that made us all laugh.

After the work day was done all of us runners were able to watch a John King broadcast his show from the Quad. I could not help but to have a big grin on my face the entire time. He is here on my campus, it doesn’t get any better than this!

Not only am I impressed with the production of everything, but all of the staff are incredibly nice and a pleasure to work with.

If you have an interesting experience or story relating to the New Hampshire Republican Presidential Debate, submit your story through this blog. It's quick, and like this story, it just might appear in the Saint Anselm College Blog.

This post was submitted by Vallerie Stein.